[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Apr 1 16:42:53 CDT 2012

Paul:
IANAL, but it does appear that Creative Commons licenses are potentially enforceable by law, *but* that there is no guarantee of success. A court would have to be convinced that there were non-trivial damages to the copyright holder relevant to the breach of copyright (and not to things like plagiarism, etc., which are separate issues). In the case of Nabu, this seems unlikely. It is irrelevant that Nabu are unethically selling what is already free (how many legit. publishers bother to check this?)
It seems to me that CC licenses were only designed to be applied to artworks, and (leaving aside the possible complication of illustrations) scientific publications are not artworks! An artwork has intrinsic aesthetic values, but no relevant information content. A scientific publication has no intrinsic values, but primarily has information content. Clearly, one cannot impose restrictions on reuse of the information content! It seems to me to be absurd to impose restrictions on reuse of the publication itself, particularly if anyone can freely obtain a copy of it anyway!
Stephen