[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers

Roger Burks burks.roger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:57:52 CDT 2012

Possibly to reinforce some concepts and provide a reminder of some
realities...if any service makes positive funds consistently, it is
because people find that service to be worth the cost. This situation
exists until free services become good enough to make the costly ones
no longer worth it. Do we agree that positive effort is almost always
superior to negative effort? If so, the best way to make more
information free and open is to continue improving services which
strive to accomplish the goal of free and open information. If these
services are not yet at that point, we need to honestly try to think
about why they are not, rather than to blindly cast blame or
accusations of greed onto every person who happens to be listening. I
doubt that random and generally inaccurate blame will accomplish much
good.

If we tell all publishers that they can go "stuff themselves" right
now, this hurts some services that provide open information, as the
publishers can tell us that they no longer wish to cooperate given
that their rights would be completely disrespected. That situation
will certainly end up much worse for us than it will be for them.

Roger