[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers: interpretation of law

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 2 12:31:39 CDT 2012

Donat wrote:

>Again, most of us have the funds to create work (from science foundation,
>from another job or your wives' income, from your employer with the goal to
>deliver great discoveries), not to live of works we create. There is no
>museum, nor an individual that can make a live in this environment by
>selling, what most obviously dream of, a NYT (taxonomic) Best Seller.

But if someone like Nabu takes your work, which you (or your funding
source) have taken time and money to make freely available, and
proceeds to live off the proceeds from selling it and others like it,
doesn't that (A) effectively disprove your claim above (that profit
from your work is impossible), and (B) deny you what should be your
share of this profit?

If you set up a roadside stand near your apple orchard, with a sign
that says "FREE APPLES", and someone comes up, outs a stand in front
of yours, with a much bigger sign saying "APPLES 10 FOR A DOLLAR"
that blocks yours from view from the highway, and then takes some of
your apples every time someone asks to buy, would you have any
grounds for complaint? You grew the apples, paid all of the costs
over the years, including taxes on the land you raised them on, paid
to have them harvested, lugged them out to the roadside, and then
some "entrepreneur" comes along and parasitizes your efforts, making
a profit almost entirely at your expense (they did, after all, have
to supply their own advertising, and hand apples to customers). It
might not be illegal, but it sure as heck isn't RIGHT. If we can't
agree on something that simple, then as a society, we are totally
screwed.

Sincerely,