[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers: interpretation of law

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 2 13:53:04 CDT 2012

>DA: Nabu, the way I understand it, does not take your new book at the moment
>you publish it and competes with this. Rather, it takes oldish work and
>creates a print on demand and sells it.

Since when is 1997 "oldish"?

see http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/3615

versus

http://www.amazon.com/rediscovered-primitive-ants-Hymenoptera-relationships/dp/1174789123/ref=sr_1_72?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332970174&sr=1-72

Even if one allows for the possibility of a recent work being public
domain, and therefore legally eligible for Nabu to re-use, that still
doesn't make it right for them to do it when other people are making
the same content available - for free - and at their own expense.
Nabu does not, apparently, scan any documents themselves; it appears
that they take digital files produced by others and print them and
mail them - and take money for them, sharing nothing with the people
who digitized them and put them online.

Sincerely,