[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers: interpretation of law

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Apr 2 16:56:30 CDT 2012

I still think that Doug is confusing copyright issues with other things. The apples analogy is inappropriate, precisely because there is no analogy of copyright on the apples, it is simply an issue of competition vs. monopoly. If you don't like them selling your apples, then don't give them away for free! You can't give people free apples on condition that they eat them themselves, and don't sell them on! What if there were a poor, homeless family selling your free apples on in order to get money to buy a more balanced diet (i.e., not just apples!) Change the particular circumstances, and the ethics change also ... Isn't retail just buying and then reselling with a mark up? Does it matter in principle if the original price is zero?? Yes, Nabu are unethical, but so are lots of others, and it just shouldn't be seen as a copyright issue, in my opinion ... now that the bee publication is freely available, the authors should just let go and move on ...

It is not irrelevant to this case that Nabu is almost certainly profiting next to nothing from the bee publication ... this fact makes the whole matter trivial, and I'm sure a court would see it as such ...

Stephen