[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers: interpretation of law

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Mon Apr 2 20:40:43 CDT 2012

Let's try a different analogy. Let's say there is a publisher of
scholarly works that copyrights the items they publish under United
States law. Let's pretend that the US is a signatory of the Berne
Convention, so that most other nations will honor US copyrights. Let us
also pretend that they have made an agreement with another organization
to provide their publications online, so that scholars can easily read
them. Let's say that the license allows no other use.

Let us go on to hypothesize another publisher, specializing in
print-on-demand of public domain works, an act that is legal worldwide,
and even considered honorable by many. Let's say that they took
electronic copies provided under the agreement above, and, either
because they were misled into believing the works to be in the public
domain, or because they just didn't care, advertised these works as
print-on-demand.

Let's say the first publisher found out about this, and under United
States copyright law, with the threat of statutory damages (which don't
require a proof of monetary loss) demanded that the online provider
remove all copies of the publisher's works, and never made those works
available again except in print, for a fee.

Who won? Who lost? Which ideals have been advanced? Which ideals have
been hindered?

If citation is what we all want, I can take Donat's public domain works,
modify them, and republish them as my own. Plagiarism is not against the
law in as many countries as copyright infringement is. And, to
paraphrase Stephen, since he put it in the public domain, what basis of
complaint does he have if others repurpose it to their own advantage?

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4140