[Taxacom] BHL and print on demand publishers: defintion of "work"

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Mon Apr 2 22:02:16 CDT 2012

Dear Curtis
You are the American arguing about copyright and thus should use case law to
make your case. Otherwise you just make an interpretation of law at your own
and bend it in the one or the other direction. So, you should tell me when
making cases regarding copyright.

I am operating from Switzerland. Our legal situation is in our Agosti &
Egloff 2009 publication explained. The legal part is written by one of the
foremost swiss legal experts. All we do at Plazi, i.e. creating by
extracting from the published record and providing access to treatments, is
based on this opinion. Even if there is a legal case against this, we are
not a bunch of taxonomists who made something up, but we did our best to
follow existing law, that is slightly different than US and EU law.
Therefore, the argument cannot be made against us that we acted in
ignorance. We are also not having boundaries that we build up of fear of
legal prosecution that drives most of this discussion.

By having a legal advice, we can also foster the case that public funded
science should be exempt from commercial copyright law. A lawyer can more
easily talk to his colleagues. And there is an increasing understanding, not
only in Switzerland, but also the US, that public funded research
publication has to be open access (see the NIH mandate and the recent debate
on the Research Works Act).

Donat