[Taxacom] print on demand publishers -ICZN implications

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Tue Apr 3 02:24:52 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Thorpe" <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>
To: "Doug Yanega" <dyanega at ucr.edu>; <TAXACOM at MAILMAN.NHM.KU.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] print on demand publishers -ICZN implications

at the risk of more excruciating detail, I don't see why a Fabricius (2012)
publication is not possible! There are plenty of posthumous publications, so
it is irrelevant that Fabricius is long gone. The premise is that Fabricius
(2012) is based on a previously invalidly published work, so if it is now
published validly, I see no problem at all...
Where does the Code require originality?

Stephen

There IS a Fabricius (1938). Bryk reproduced an unpublished work of his
then, and all names in it are attributed to Fabricius (1938), however they
are either junior synonyms or homonyms.

Fabricius, J. C. 1938. In Bryk, Systema Glossatorum [Facsimile]. Im Anhang:
K. Illiger: Die neueste Gattungs-Eintheilung der Schmetterlinge aus den
Linneischen Gattungen Papilio un Sphinx. J. Chr. Fabricius: Rechenschaft an
das Publicum ueber seine Classification der Glassaten. Pp. 13-112 in:
Feller, Sammlung naturwissenschaftlicher Facsimile-Drucke. Neubrandenburg.
Feller: xii, xii, 13-112, 277-289, 81-84.

I assume that such reproductions were regarded as validly published at that
time, but currently would be considered not to be.

Adam.