[Taxacom] Seeking collaboration on illustrated biological dictionary/glossary for semantic mediawiki with ontological relations

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 06:04:23 CDT 2012

Within the context of the EU-funded ViBRANT project (vbrant.eu) we are
exploring, together with GBIF, semantic mediawiki. The goal is to
combine the ease of definition of biological terms in a
Wikipedia-style, human-accessible, and possible richly illustrated
manner with an RDF/OWL based ontology. Imagine it as a dedicated work
with pages that can do everything that Wikipedia can (but with
controlled access).

We have resources and the technical foundation to bring such a
glossary into a long-term digital publishing framework, but we are
lacking a good content for a morphological or taxonomic example. We
realize that most attractive illustrated taxon lists, dictionaries or
glossaries are owned by major publishers. If you have created or point
us to a quality illustrated glossary that the authors wish to be
freely available, we appreciate your collaboration.

The publication would technically be implemented on the
biowikifarm.net, a community-run integrated hosting site biological
wiki project that has a long-term stability gurantee backed by Munich
SNSB and Berlin BGBM. The created glossary would thus be available and
editable for the foreseeable future far beyond the project duration.

If you are interested in a collaboration and wish to discuss this
further, please contact us until the end of April.

Many thanks!

Gregor Hagedorn (JKI, Berlin), Yde de Jong (University of Amsterdam),
Dag Endresen (GBIF Copenhagen)