[Taxacom] Survey on digitization of US Herbaria

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Sat Apr 21 13:06:09 CDT 2012

Dear All:
The US Virtual Herbarium project is once again seeking information on the progress US herbaria are making in digitizing (databasing, imaging, georeferencing) their specimens and making the information publicly available. This year we are using survey monkey to collect the information. If you are in charge of a herbarium in the US, Please log in to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LK7PVSC to complete the survey. Alternatively, go to http://herbarium.usu.edu and click on the link provided there.  If you have not started digitizing your collection yet, there are less than 5 questions to answer. If you have started, there are about 10 (how many databased, image, georeferenced, which urls provide access).  We plant to summarize and publish the information the web, and compare it with the data we obtained last year, by the end of June so please - complete it before the end of May.

I apologize in advance for the fact that you may receive multiple requests to complete the survey.  Reaching all the herbaria in the country is not easy.  This is being sent to the emails we have in a database that started with a listing from Index herbariorum (IH). Please pass this message on to people you know who are in charge of herbaria not listed in IH. Some are included in our listing but nowhere near all of them.

And, if you are listed in Index herbariorum but have not updated the information there for a few years, please do so.  See http://sciweb.nybg.org/science2/IndexHerbariorum.asp for information on how to do so. [And this part applies to herbaria anywhere)

Mary Barkworth, Co-Chair
US Virtual Herbarium Project