[Taxacom] species loss: 20 years after Rio

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Apr 26 21:20:26 CDT 2012

Bald extinction data such as IUCN's can be unreliable, and supposedly
extinct taxa can reappear. It doesn't require much skepticism to guess
that extinction reports on small cryptic invertebrates may be particularly
prone to error, and even mammals can be rediscovered.

The first two species I looked at on Wikipedia's representation of the
2010 IUCN extinct list had both been rediscovered - Liocypris grandis and
Austrogammarus australis.

One or two Pleurobema 'extinct' freshwater mussels on the list have been
rediscovered, but require conservation efforts to continue as extant.

These are just random examples. The rediscovered populations may not be in
good health, but they aren't extinct ... just yet.

Geoff