[Taxacom] Conservation

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:38:58 CDT 2012

Hi Stephen,     Agreed, a mixture of both strategies would be best.  However, at present there is too much emphasis on particular taxa that are the favorites of researchers with the inside track on funding.  Those studying wolves or polar bears can still get excessive funding to keep renting helicopters to basically repeatedly harass, trap, collar, and "study" them over and over again for decades, while other taxa are ignored.  Another field that is even more over-funded is dinosaur research, just because people find them fascinating.  Dinosaurs may draw some young people into the field of biology, but that does not justify the excessive spending of funds on dinosaur research rather than studying species which are still living.  I still believe that dinosaur specimens should be preserved in museums, but the extremely time-consuming process of preparing huge dinosaur carnivores and herbivores should be put off until the future, and that more of those biologists should be encouraged to study poorly-studied species of living species (and I am not talking about wolves and polar bears which have been studied excessively), but especially taxa that are neglected (even if the masses do not find them as interesting).  No wonder the phylogeny of invertebrate phyla is so poorly understood.            ------------------Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------Stephen wrote:an alternative strategy is to conserve habitats/ecosystems, based on their
overall biodiversity, rather than try to prioritise particular taxa. The only
losers in this case would be threatened phylogenetically isolated taxa in not
very diverse habitats ... I'm not sure off hand if there would be many of these?
Still, probably a mixture of both strategies would be better still ...

Stephen