[Taxacom] species loss: 20 years after Rio

Neal Evenhuis neale at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Apr 30 05:28:43 CDT 2012

Correction: "if there were enough taxonomists we would / could know all the species..."  should read  "if there were enough taxonomists paid to describe new species we would / could know all the species..."

There are plenty taxonomists out there. They just aren't paid to describe species anymore or otherwise have any incentive to describe new stuff. Most like to sort and "discover" new taxa but hate the "description" part. Just having a taxonomist around does not guarantee we will know anything more about his/her specialty group than we know now. Some need a push to get them going and publish so that "we", not "they", will know all the species.

@Jim-- I want your audio version of taxacom so I can listen too... :-)

-Neal