[Taxacom] Global biodiversity databases

Robert Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Wed Aug 8 03:55:21 CDT 2012

Rod Page wrote:

"I suspect the unsatisfactory state of taxonomic (and other biodiversity) databases will persist until we switch from trying to keep providers happy to trying to giving users with the data and services they need."

Thank you, Rod, for offering some common sense, against the background of continuing project promotions and 'This is going to be *fantastic*!' advertisements disguised as papers in the biodiversity literature.

But your word 'providers' is a little ambiguous. Do you mean the people who actually generate data in the field, in their offices and in their labs? Or the acronyms who aggregate, then 'provide' by offering?

Cheers,
Bob
--
Dr Robert Mesibov