[Taxacom] No more whinging and whining?

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Wed Feb 1 08:05:07 CST 2012

Perhaps it's too much to hope for, but for those who are stuck in the
past with complaints about the readability of Croizat's panbiogeography
this can no longer be used as an excuse for ignorance. Molecular
Panbiogeography of the Tropics is now published (Michael Heads,
University of California Press, Berkeley). In my opinion (admittedly
biased) this is the best biogeography book to come out since 1958. The
book is written in standard US English and so for US English critics at
least, there should be no further impediment. The chapters are as
follows:

1. Evolution in Space

2. Evolution in Time

3. Evolution and biogeography of Primates: A New Model Based on
Molecular Phylogenetics, Vicariance, and Plate Tectonics

4. Biogeography of New World Monkeys

5. Primates in Africa and Asia

6. Biogeography of the Central Hawaiian Islands: The Global Context

7. Distribution of the Hawaiian Islands

8. Biogeography of Pantropical and Global Groups

9. Evolution in Space, Time, and Form: Beyond Centers of Origin,
Dispersal, and Adaptation

Readers should find plenty of meat in the sandwich, and even if people
want to continue their faith in centers of origin, at least one might
expect informed objections (i.e. making specific reference to the
panbiogeographic critique) from now on (I know, that's more than one can
really expect). Also, perhaps this book will make it more difficult for
Hawaiians (the biogeographers) to keep up the pretence that there is no
possible alternative to their dispersalist model for the islands' biota.
(I call it a 'pretence' because they know darned well that there is an
alternative).

More on the scope and availability of the book go to
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520271968

John Grehan

Dr. John R. Grehan
Director of Science and Research