[Taxacom] No more whinging and whining?

Michael Heads michael.heads at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 16:15:30 CST 2012

Hi Frederick,

In the quote you mentioned I was referring to 'small l' levellers, not to the Levellers. (E.g. the editor of a journal who rejects all manuscripts that don't follow a certain theory could be seen as a 'leveller'). In the same way, Louis XIV, of course, wasn't a Puritan, although in comparison with Henry IV he might be regarded as a 'puritan' or 'cleanser' (revoking the edict of Nantes etc.).  Likewise, in science, having just a single working hypothesis to explain a given phenomenon can be dangerous.

Michael Heads

Wellington, New Zealand.

My papers on biogeography: http://tiny.cc/HeadsPubs
My new book 'Molecular Panbiogeography of the Tropics': http://tiny.cc/MolPanbio