[Taxacom] Diversity of bacteria

David Patterson dpatterson at mbl.edu
Tue Feb 7 12:22:30 CST 2012

The number of 'named' entities is a very small proportion of the diversity
out there. High throughput techniques are now revealing spectacular levels
of diversity of entities that have yet to be named.  That will also provide
an incomplete inventory.

Roesch et al  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2970868/   tell
us that "Estimates of the number of species of bacteria per gram of soil
vary between 2000 and 8.3 million"

The Huse et al (2008) paper is a very accessible hyperview
http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1000255

Both are dated, and allowing for the difficulties of deciding what
constitutes a species is more difficult in the eubacterial and
archaebacterial worlds, I think we can safely say that the number of
discriminable entities exceeds 0.5 million.

David Patterson