[Taxacom] Diversity of bacteria

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Tue Feb 7 14:30:17 CST 2012

Hi Brian,
        The short answer is that the numbers do include archaebacteria.
The Kingdom level taxa given at the LPSN website are those of Thomas
Cavalier-Smith, 2002 (the only person who has done so in compliance with
the Bacterial Code).  He argues (and I think rightly so) that all
prokaryotes should be classified as a single Kingdom Bacteria which he
divides into two Subkingdoms (Negibacteria and Unibacteria).  In that
classification, the archaebacteria are included within Subkingdom
Unibacteria.

       He (along with Ernst Mayr, and others) total reject the notion
that archaebacteria should be ranked as a separate "Domain" Archaea.
Instead he has presented various lines of evidence that archaebacteria
are sister group of a subclade of the Unibacteria.  Thus Woese's Domain
Bacteria is very paraphyletic with respect to Domain Archaea.  And
Cavalier-Smith even believes that only the eubacteria existed for the
first 2 1/2 billion years of life, and that the archaebacteria evolved
from them less than a billion years ago.  That would make Archaea an
absurd misnomer.  Hopefully people will finally stop using the Three
Domain classification, and use Ernst Mayr's "Two Empire" classification
(Prokaryota and Eukaryota) as a more appropriate division at the highest
level.  As noted above, Cavalier-Smith's Kingdom Bacteria is equivalent
to Prokaryota.
              ----------Ken Kinman

Brian wrote:
Hi Hideaki et al.,
Thank you for the link!
I am a bit unclear-- does this cover only the Domain Bacteria, or does
it include Archaeobacteria?  The notes of section V seem to indicate
that both are included.  I am confused because in section V it says that
there is one kingdom (which, I assume, is Bacteria), but in the notes it
talks about the Domains (empires) Bacteria and Archaeobacteria, and
takes the number from just above and dissects it a bit to break apart
these two domains.
Clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Best regards, Brian
L. Brian Patrick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biology and Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
Dakota Wesleyan University
1200 W. University Ave.
Mitchell, SD  57301