[Taxacom] Diversity of bacteria

Dr.B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Wed Feb 8 01:35:01 CST 2012

Oh dear Ken,
"The Kingdom level taxa given at the LPSN website are those of Thomas
Cavalier-Smith, 2002 (the only person who has done so in compliance with
the Bacterial Code)."

The Code does not formally cover the nomenclature of anything above
the rank of class. As such none of the higher taxonomic names used in
the past or even at the present are covered by the Code and not all
would be listed on that website.

Minute 22 in:
http://ijs.sgmjournals.org/content/61/11/2775.full
that deals with the issue of names created by Cavalier-Smith.

There are other interpretations concerning the taxonomy of the higher
taxonomic ranks which differ from the opinion expressed by
Cavalier-Smith.

Traditionally the Code covered all "bacteria" that were not covered by
other Codes (cyanobacteria = cyanophytes are covered by the
International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (ICN),
where they come under the category of "traditionally treated as
plants"). The 1990 revision of the Code is based on the 1975 revision,
which pre-dated the Eubacteria/Bacteria, Archae(o)bacteria/Archaea
concept (excluding of course Haeckel's class Bacteria and later
Murray's class Archaeobacteria). There are significant problems
integrating names of cyanobacteria/cyanophytes under the current Code
due to differences in the infrastructure of these two Codes.

Brian

Quoting Kenneth Kinman <kennethkinman at webtv.net>:

> Hi Brian,
>         The short answer is that the numbers do include archaebacteria.
> The Kingdom level taxa given at the LPSN website are those of Thomas
> Cavalier-Smith, 2002 (the only person who has done so in compliance with
> the Bacterial Code).  He argues (and I think rightly so) that all
> prokaryotes should be classified as a single Kingdom Bacteria which he
> divides into two Subkingdoms (Negibacteria and Unibacteria).  In that
> classification, the archaebacteria are included within Subkingdom
> Unibacteria.
>
>        He (along with Ernst Mayr, and others) total reject the notion
> that archaebacteria should be ranked as a separate "Domain" Archaea.
> Instead he has presented various lines of evidence that archaebacteria
> are sister group of a subclade of the Unibacteria.  Thus Woese's Domain
> Bacteria is very paraphyletic with respect to Domain Archaea.  And
> Cavalier-Smith even believes that only the eubacteria existed for the
> first 2 1/2 billion years of life, and that the archaebacteria evolved
> from them less than a billion years ago.  That would make Archaea an
> absurd misnomer.  Hopefully people will finally stop using the Three
> Domain classification, and use Ernst Mayr's "Two Empire" classification
> (Prokaryota and Eukaryota) as a more appropriate division at the highest
> level.  As noted above, Cavalier-Smith's Kingdom Bacteria is equivalent
> to Prokaryota.
>               ----------Ken Kinman

> Brian wrote:
> Hi Hideaki et al.,
> Thank you for the link!
> I am a bit unclear-- does this cover only the Domain Bacteria, or does
> it include Archaeobacteria?  The notes of section V seem to indicate
> that both are included.  I am confused because in section V it says that
> there is one kingdom (which, I assume, is Bacteria), but in the notes it
> talks about the Domains (empires) Bacteria and Archaeobacteria, and
> takes the number from just above and dissects it a bit to break apart
> these two domains.
> Clarification would be greatly appreciated!
> Best regards, Brian
> L. Brian Patrick, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor of Biology and Chair
> Department of Biological Sciences
> Dakota Wesleyan University
> 1200 W. University Ave.
> Mitchell, SD  57301

> of these methods:

> (2) a Google search specified as:

Dr.B.J.Tindall
Leibniz-Institut DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von
Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)