[Taxacom] Three Domains (follow up)

Dan Lahr daniel.lahr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 06:46:43 CST 2012

Hi Ken,

"However, I still don't see why they felt compelled to reject the
kingdom and phylum level names, since the Code does not deal with taxa
at that level."

The committee of nomenclature issued an opinion in a nomenclatural matter.
It is their responsibility to issue opinions in matters they believe are
consistent with the principles established by their code.

In this case, the relevant is Principle 1 "1. Aim at stability of names. 2.
Avoid or reject the use of names which may cause error or confusion. 3.
Avoid the useless creation of names."  By not providing types, the proposed
names generate confusion - of course the Committee could have decided on a
type as this is predicted by the bacterial code, so there must have been
something else as well.

Committees are living breathing organisms which exist with the very purpose
of dealing with issues that are consistent with the spirit of the code, but
perhaps not spelled out in detail in the current form of the code.  While
there are indeed very specific rules and a general concern for homonymy and
priority in lower taxonomic levels, the principles should be followed at
all levels.  At least the ICZN, which I have more familiarity with, states
this explicitly in article 1.2.2. I´d expect the other codes to contain
similar claims.

cheers,

Dan

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Kenneth Kinman <kennethkinman at webtv.net>wrote:

> Hi All,
>      I just reread the minutes of the Judicial Committee in 2008.  It
> seems that they did provide one reason for rejecting the taxa proposed
> by Thomas Cavalier-Smith in 2002, namely not providing nomenclatural
> types.  However, I still don't see why they felt compelled to reject the
> kingdom and phylum level names, since the Code does not deal with taxa
> at that level.

> these methods:

Daniel J. G. Lahr, PhD
Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Dept. of Zoology
University of Sao Paulo, Brazil