[Taxacom] mycolic acids (was Three Domains)

Dr.B.J.Tindall bti at dsmz.de
Fri Feb 10 00:40:31 CST 2012

Done:

Disclosure of the mycobacterial outer membrane: Cryo-electron
tomography and vitreous sections reveal the lipid bilayer structure
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/10/3963

Mycobacterial outer membranes: in search of proteins
http://www.cell.com/trends/microbiology/abstract/S0966-842X%2809%2900261-3

Direct Visualization of the Outer Membrane of Mycobacteria and
Corynebacteria in Their Native State
http://jb.asm.org/content/190/16/5672.abstract

Biochemical Disclosure of the Mycolate Outer Membrane of
Corynebacterium glutamicum
http://jb.asm.org/content/194/3/587.abstract

I regret that some of these links may not be open access.

Brian

Quoting Kenneth Kinman <kennethkinman at webtv.net>:

> Hi Brian (Tindall),
>        You mentioned mycolic acids arranged in the outer membrane of
> some gram-positive bacteria, which might indicate that they are actually
> diderms (rather than monoderms).
>
>         However, thus far I could only find mention of mycolic acids in
> their cell wall, not in an outer membrane which would be homologous with
> the diderm outer membrane.  Or am I missing something here?  Need a
> literature citation to verify that mycolic acids exist in a true outer
> membrane.
>             --------Thanks,
>                                    Ken

> of these methods:

> (2) a Google search specified as:

Dr.B.J.Tindall
Leibniz-Institut DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von
Mikroorganismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)