[Taxacom] Parasitic wasps from Viscum album

James Whitfield jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu
Mon Feb 13 16:04:28 CST 2012

Hi Peter,

The chalcidoid looks like a eupelmid.   I suggest getting in touch with
Gary Gibson at the Canadian National Collection of Insects
(gary.gibson at agr.gc.ca).

The ichneumonoids look like several species and genera of Doryctinae.
Paul Marsh (swampy at wildblue.net) would be good for getting IDs, but
probably Donald Quicke ().  could also help.
> Dear Taxacomers,
> Can somebody help us to identify these parasitic wasp at species level?
We collected these creatures from European mistletoe (Viscum album) - I
guess the host tree was poplar (Populus sp) - together with many other
interesting species by beating the branches during the last summer
season.
> However, we found some interesting cavities with larvae inside the
mistletoe twigs what we have preserved for rearing. We expected to have
> bark beetle inside the rearing cage but found these parasitic wasps a
few
> weeks later.
> It's hard to identify them correctly, because there are so many of them,
but I have attached a few pictures. Here is the link:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/111250450488513933316/ParasiticWaspsFromViscumAlbum?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMCr8uCbiPvnSQ&feat=directlink
We made it down to superfamily level. We guess we got 2 species of
Ichneumon
> wasp (Ichneumonoidea) and one species of chalcid wasp (Chalcidoidea). I
hope this helps to get even a clue. I have just a few specimens only
1-3
> of each species which might make it a bit more difficult to identify
them
> correctly. I can send them to anyone who would have the time to make the
identification for us.
> All the best, PP
> --
> Peter Poczai, PhD
> Plant Biology (Biocenter 3), UNIV. HELSINKI
> PO Pox 65, FIN-00014, Helsinki
> Finland
these methods:
> (2) a Google search specified as: