[Taxacom] a game of 2 letter generic names

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Mon Feb 13 21:32:20 CST 2012

Hi again,
      Using a searching trick, I found another 5 such genera which end
in the letter a (I had never heard of any of these):
Ca (Lepidoptera)
Ja (Coleoptera)
Oa (Hymenoptera)
Ra (Osteichthyes)
Ua (Hymenoptera)
                          -----------Ken
P.S.  The trick which seems to work at ION is to actually type in three
characters (two letters and then the space bar).
Hi Stephen,
      Ia, as in Ia io (Chiroptera)
      Ba, as in Ba humbugi (Mollusca)
Stephen wrote:
2 letter generic names pose some frustrating problems for searches.
For example, if you do an ION search, you get a big red error message
saying 'Query should be at least 2 characters long' !!! Eg.
http://www.organismnames.com/query.htm?q=Ea&searchType=simple&so=a0
I currently know 3 such names in zoology, Aa, Do, and Ea (see details
here: http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:2_letter_genera)
does anyone know of any others (in zoology)?