[Taxacom] a game of 2 letter generic names

CSTURMJR at pitt.edu CSTURMJR at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:12:30 CST 2012

Io as in Io fluvialis (Say, 1825)

Freshwater molluscan genus and this combination is the logo for the
American Malacological Society.

> 2 letter generic names pose some frustrating problems for searches. For
> example, if you do an ION search, you get a big red error message saying
> 'Query should be at least 2 characters long' !!! Eg.
> http://www.organismnames.com/query.htm?q=Ea&searchType=simple&so=a0
> I currently know 3 such names in zoology, Aa, Do, and Ea (see details
> here: http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:2_letter_genera)
> does anyone know of any others (in zoology)?
>
> Stephen

> these methods:

> (2) a Google search specified as:

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasure
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine