[Taxacom] a game of 2 letter generic names

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Mon Feb 13 23:12:45 CST 2012

Hi Stephen, all,

I currently have 19 2 letter generic names in IRMNG under the zoological Code (which includes protists, you should note, excepting the "algal" ones); however some may be subgenera as my list includes those, not all noted as such. Here is the list and current family placements (not all yet done, you will note) - make of it what you will... Also it appears I do not have "Do", so I shall add it (makes 20).

Aa Baker, 1940 - Currently valid as subgenus of Philonesia, refer Cowie et al., 1995
Family: Helicarionidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Mollusca-Gastropoda-Stylommatophora

As Slipinski, 1982
Family: Cerylonidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Coleoptera

Ba Solem, 1983
Family: Stylommatophora (awaiting allocation)
Hierarchy: Animalia-Mollusca-Gastropoda-Stylommatophora

Ca Dyar, 1914
Family: Dalceridae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Lepidoptera

Ea Distant, 1911
Family: Hemiptera (awaiting allocation)
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Hemiptera

Ge Nicéville, 1895
Family: Hesperiidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Lepidoptera

Ia Thomas, 1902 - Considered a subgenus of Pipistrellus by some authors, refer Wilson & Reeder, 2005
Family: Vespertilionidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Chordata-Mammalia-Chiroptera

Io Lea, 1831
Family: Pleuroceridae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Mollusca-Gastropoda-Sorbeoconcha

Io Blanchard, 1852
Family: Lepidoptera (awaiting allocation)
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Lepidoptera

Ix Bergroth, 1916
Family: Miridae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Hemiptera

Ja Uéno, 1955
Family: Coleoptera (awaiting allocation)
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Coleoptera

La Bleszynski, 1966
Family: Crambidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Lepidoptera

Lo Seale, 1906
Family: Siganidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Chordata-Osteichthyes-Perciformes

Oa Girault, 1929
Family: Trichogrammatidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Hymenoptera

Qu Durkoop, Mensink & Plodowski, 1967 (nomen nudum)
Family: Trilobita (awaiting allocation)
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Trilobita-Trilobita (awaiting allocation)

Ra Whitley, 1931
Family: Citharinidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Chordata-Osteichthyes-Cypriniformes

Ty Bory de St. Vincent, 1827
Family: Protista (awaiting allocation)
Hierarchy: Protista-Protista (awaiting allocation)-Protista (awaiting allocation)-Protista
(awaiting allocation)

Ua Girault, 1929
Family: Torymidae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Arthropoda-Insecta-Hymenoptera

Zu Walters & Fitch, 1960
Family: Trachipteridae
Hierarchy: Animalia-Chordata-Osteichthyes-Lampriformes

Cheers - Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,