[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Armand Turpel armand.turpel.mnhn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 02:42:10 CST 2012

Hi,

We have a database with over 80000 species taxon names which we want to
compare and validate against other databases. Doing this job isn’t very
easy:

1. The majority of organizations only provide web interfaces to search
for single taxon names.
2. Copyrights of data are some times not very clear
3. Quality of data is doubtful. >
- Lamia amputator Guérin-Méneville, 1844
- Lamia amputator Guerin-Meneville, 1844
- Lamia amputator Guérin-Méneville
- …...

The only organization we know that provide its whole database for
download is species2000 (catalogue of life > COL). We created a
postgresql version for the COL data from which it is possible to compare
a big number of taxon names in one run. Postgresql provide good fuzzy
string algorithms. But the COL data isn’t error free and it isn’t
complete for our region.

The question is: Which organization provide trustful, complete (as
possible) and full accessible data?

a+

arm