[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Feb 14 15:02:19 CST 2012

Hi Armand,
Your question opens a familiar "can of worms", as we say!
Currently, there is no comprehensive source of validated scientific names, and certain vagueness in some ICZN Code articles makes it unlikely that there could ever be a robust notion of name availability.
I work on Wikispecies to create something akin to what you want, except that I try to make the names verifiable by the user, rather than just saying "you can trust me". Hence, it involves work on the part of the user. Most users want someone else to do the work, and to be "spoon fed" with validated names, but this just isn't realistic ...

Cheers,
Stephen