[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 00:18:49 CST 2012

Dear Tony,

Yes, in many ways we are close, we just haven't put the bits together in one highly visible place that people can use.

I used to run the "Taxonomic Search Engine" described in http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2105-6-48 , which was an example of a federated search engine that queried multiple sources on the fly (a bit like http://botany.si.edu/ing/ but I used web services and extracted and reformatted the data rather than show results as web pages inside frames).

The two biggest problems were the source services going offline, or changing their web services (breaking my code). There also performance issues when doing "live" searching as opposed to searching a local list. You've covered all these issues nicely. There's also the problem of redundancy. Because some lists are aggregations of other lists, we can end up with the same source being represented several times in the results, but without the user being aware of this.

I just think there's clearly scope for bringing these sorts of services together in one place and providing people with some tools to address the problems they face, rather than the chaotic landscape we present at the moment.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy