[Taxacom] Systema Dipterorum = closed down

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 21:05:34 CST 2012

Whether any one care or not,

the Systema Dipterorum  (www.diptera.org) online database to names of flies
has been closed down.

This database which has had various names over the years as I have migrated
from different jobs but never really has been supported to provide
information about fly names is finally being retired as I have been kicked
out by Bob Robinson of Smithsonian of my last home after almost a half
century of what I thought was a useful and productive association.

However, this has a positive aspect. Clearly the Smithsonian has decided
Diptera names and associated information has no value to the public. Whether
that is true or not now can be determined. So, if you feel Systema
Dipterorum was useful, complain! The key players are Jon Coddington
(coddingtonj at si.edu) and Bob Robinson (robinsonb at si.edu).

Sincerely,

Chris

from home