[Taxacom] Systema Dipterorum = closed

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 21:25:10 CST 2012

Yes, Jeff,

The Systema Dipterorum is down and will remain so. Apparently a database of
fly names, despite the fact that flies represents more than 10% of the
World's biodiversity and are a critical component of many human
interactions, etc., is irrelevant to the powers to be at the Smithsonian
(increase and diffusion of Knowledge, but not about flies!)

The Smithsonian has refused to renew my association* with them and I am now
forced to leave. So ...

They, mainly, Jon Coddington (coddingtonj at si.edu) and Bob Robbins
(robbinsb at si.edu) feel I serve no useful purpose.

So, you should complain to them,

Sincerely,

Chris

from home

*Once, back in 1996, I put up some example species pages online at the
Smithsonian and also an example of digitalized literature, from which
eventually arose the Encyclopedia of Life (via the All-Species foundation)
and the Biodiversity of Heritage Library programs. But today "old dogs" are
an embarrassment to current administration.