[Taxacom] Systema Dipterorum = closed down

Chris Thompson xelaalex at cox.net
Fri Feb 17 13:24:18 CST 2012

ALL:

Some minor clarifications need to be made:

First, the Schlinger Foundation has for years being the principal supporter
of the online database of World Diptera names. For that we have and remain
greatly appreciated and indebted, etc. Without their support there would
never have been able to provide an online version of our database.

Unfortunately as many foundation and individuals know, the investment market
declined last year, so for the first time in years endowments, IRA, 401Ks,
etc., declined. And so there was least for all [yes, except the super rich
1%] losses and that hurt our Systema Dipterorum, etc.

We do not know what the future will bring. We hope that it will be positive.
We hope to find more support to fulfill our goal of providing for ALL free
public access to documentation about Diptera Biodiversity, more than 10% of
all of life on this earth.

Our resources remain non-existent, but we on our own are working on a new
and greatly enhanced version of Systema Dipterorum, so watch for something
different at www.diptera.org in the coming months.

Naturally, if you want to help, contributions to the S. W. Williston Diptera
Research Fund of the Smithsonian Institution are always welcomed, etc. Just
make your checks out to that fund and send them to me at my business
address.

Sincerely,

Chris

Department of Entomology