[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Feb 17 17:17:10 CST 2012

Rich wrote:

>> Note that I agree that
>> the publications of Hoser or whoever should be noted in relation to the
>> taxon, but I am denying that there is any compulsion to accept as the
>> "currently valid name" one of Hoser's opinions just because it was
>>published 5 minutes *after* some reputable scientist made a different call ...

>This sounds a bit like a straw man.  I've not yet met anyone who actually thinks that the most recent assertion about a taxon is, by default, the "correct" one

you are right, they don't think it is the "correct" one, but they perhaps do think that it is the "currently valid" one ... at least that seems to be the implicit assumption behind all biodiversity databases
that I have seen

for example, Broun (1893) described the genus Diarthrocera based on a single specimen from N.Z. (calling it D. formicaephila) with both antennae symmetrically broken off beyond the second segment - a condition he mistook for the natural state. Watt (1969: 62, 'n. syn.') sunk it as a synonym of the widespread (worldwide) genus Corticaria. Watt commented  'It is extraordinary that this "genus" should have been allowed to remain in existence for 75 years, and it is a considerable pleasure to sink it in synonymy, where henceforth it will lapse into the obscurity it deserves'. Subsequently, Rucker (2008: 25, 'syn. nov.') thougjht it appropriate to claim it again as a new synonymy, and his associate Reike (2010) described some new closely allied species to C. formicaephila, all in the genus Corticaria. Later in 2010, Maddison (who knows nothing about the group, but who was contracted to compile the NZIB checklist of N.Z. beetles, which is harvested by NZOR,
 etc.) made no mention of Reike's species (despite listing another species described in the same journal issue), and lists Diarthrocera as a valid genus again!! So, the question is, what is the currently valid name of Diarthrocera formicaephila Broun, 1893??

Stephen