[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Feb 17 17:37:32 CST 2012

OK, but I think this poses a big problem for biodiversity informatics, that is, if they want to provide something that is actually useful to general users (including governments concerned with biosecurity and/or conservation issues, which require data of a certain kind)

yes, a biodiversity database could index species under their original combinations, e.g., Diarthrocera formicaephila Broun, 1893, and then simply list alternative names in chronological order, which, in the present case would end with: Diarthrocera formicaephila Broun, 1893 according to Maddison in Macfarlane et al. (2010)

but who is going to be able to make any practical use out of such information???

Stephen