[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Fri Feb 17 21:40:22 CST 2012

On 2/17/2012 2:51 PM, Richard Pyle wrote:
> Absolutely!  But I'll take it a step further:  the question: "Is name X
> presently treated as valid?" has no answer, as such.  Without qualification
> of what is meant by "presently", and without some indication of by whom a
> name is treated as valid or not, this is a question that can only be
> answered in shades of gray (or spectra of RGB, if you prefer).

Rich, wasn't it you in the past who pointed out the importance of
circumscription to this endeavor? I think one could realistically say
that for any well-characterized (with respect to types) circumscription
there is only a single valid name. Maybe what we need is a better way to
code circumscriptions.

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
After 2012-01-02: