[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sat Feb 18 12:00:05 CST 2012

Okay, Chuck, I had missed the early part of this thread. Yes,
taxonomists have often generated enmities and vendettas, I think because
we are so isolated (1) it drives us nuts, sometimes, or (2) we have time
to think and realize we've been conned.  And yes these fights over names
are subjective and boring. I respond quickly to key words like
"subjective" that may be part of a world view that deprecates alpha
taxonomy and scientific theory as a whole as mere narratives or just-so
stories. Apparently I misunderstood your angle on this.

On the other hand, since I have the keyboard clattering:

Science is not just about facts and theory where facts are mostly
settled, and theory is subjective opinion. Facts are rarely immutable,
even if defined as "well-documented observations" and statements about
them can be biased.  Theories can be quite similar to facts at times,
and crackpot nonsense at other times. Theories are generated through
abduction (pace Fitzhugh) and are opinions only to the extent that the
thought process, logic, induction or deduction involved with dealing
with facts is, in the opinion of the author, the best result of a number
of ways of approaching an explanation for the facts. The analytic
process is not subjective and is central to scientific theory and to, we
hope, to decisions on what names should we use for jointly apprehended
groups in nature.

Richard H. Zander
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/>  and
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm>