[Taxacom] Slime mold nomenclature

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Sun Feb 19 00:08:24 CST 2012

Hi Michael,

No, the other amoebas, except as listed below are still treated under the ICZN.

The more notable "ambiregnal protists" e.g. euglenoids, dinoflagellates etc. are capable of being named under both codes (as are all the phytoflagellates and their most closely associated heterotrophic counterpoints) but are generally treated as plants for nomenclatural purposes, I believe. There are a few cases where the same name is (for example) preoccupied in plants but not animals (or vice versa) however the decision to treat the relevant taxon under the botanical or zoological code provides the relevant solution.

"Taxonomically related non-photosynthetic groups" is interpreted in the narrow sense I believe, i.e. colourless representatives of otherwise generally pigmented groups such as dinoflagellates, chrysophytes, euglenoids and so on, which can be viewed as possibly being secondarily heterotrophic (although that might not of course be true...)

Cheers - Tony