[Taxacom] Xanthocyparis (was: Validation of taxon names)

John McNeill johnm at rom.on.ca
Sun Feb 19 08:46:32 CST 2012

Oh, dear -- a stupid lapsus in the last line of the posting I just made.  That should, of course, be "Leyland's cypress", not "Lawson's cypress" (which remains uncontroversially Chamaecyparis lawsoniana).  John McNeill.

>>> "John McNeill"  02/19/12 2:42 PM >>>
I too was puzzled by Ken Kinman's comment as Xanthocyparis was indeed conserved against the earlier Callitropsis at the International Botanical Congress in Melbourne last July.  This means that for those who consider X. vietnamensis and C. nootkatensis to be congeneric, the correct name is Xanthocyparis, with, for example. X. vietnamensis and X. nootkatensis.

However, I have a suspicion that Ken Kinman's view that the matter was not "finally decided" may indeed be a matter of circumscription.  For those who exclude X. vietnamensis from a genus that includes C. nootkatensis (a defensible position according to at least one recently published cladogram) then Callitropsis nootkatensis remains the correct name for that species, a matter that has some significance for the name of the widely planted interspecific, and under some circumscriptions intergeneric, hybrid, Lawson's cypress.

Maybe Ken can explain his view.

John McNeill

John McNeill, Director Emeritus, Royal Ontario Museum;
    Honorary Associate, Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh
Mailing address:  Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, Scotland, U.K.
Telephone:    +44-131-248-2848;  fax: +44-131-248-2901
Home office:  +44-162-088-0651
e-mail: jmcneill at rbge.ac.uk (mail to johnm at rom.on.ca is also read)

>>> "Paul van Rijckevorsel"  02/19/12 8:41 AM >>>
I don't follow this. In as far as the 2011 Congress was supposed to make a decision on Xanthocyparis, it did do so http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/iapt/tax/2011/00000060/00000004/art00026.

As to the time taken to make a decision, certainly in the case of Xanthocyparis the relevant permanent Committee made up its mind quickly, and came up with a recommendation. It must be admitted that the General Committee then was notably slow in following up, publishing its recommendation only after the 2011 Congress.

It would be possible, at least theoretically, to set up a voting mechanism that could make decisions between Congresses, but this would be a big change as voting power at a Congress is determined, to a great extent, by who is actually present. To be able to make decisions between Congresses there would have to be a new mechanism to determine who has voting rights.

Paul