[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Sun Feb 19 11:00:06 CST 2012

On 2/19/2012 12:36 AM, Paul van Rijckevorsel wrote:
> On another note, defining taxa by ennumerating the components is
> rather untraditional, and in fact has been explicitly disallowed in the
> botanical Code as a way to define new taxa.

I certainly wasn't saying taxa were or should be defined that way
(diagnosis/description has always been the norm), but rather that
botanists of my era often looked at taxa that way as an important part
of arriving at a circumscription (and of course a diagnosis). I don't
remember knowing of anyone who thought of characters first, and
specimens later, although of course there is an iterative cycle, using
specimens for a first cut at characters, and then using those characters
for further evaluation of specimens.

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4140