[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sun Feb 19 21:28:06 CST 2012

Hi Stephen,
      And your efforts are appreciated.  If you have the means to do so,

it would be nice to correct the Wikipedia which still shows
Xanthocyparis as a synonym of Callitropsis, and thus using the incorrect

name combination Callitropsis vietnamensis.  This seems particularly
important because it is an endangered species.

      I would also hope that databases such as IPNI would stop using the

name combination Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, which is very unlikely to
be correct.  A case can be made for including it in Xanthocyparis,
Callitropsis (if it doesn't clade with vietnamensis), or even a broad
Cupressus.  However, I can find nothing in the recent literature which
supports placing it in Chamaecyparis.

Stephen Thorpe wrote:
I am working constantly to improve the data structure on Wikispecies, so

as to allow the user to see where the data is coming from and how it
links together (and how it links with other databases), and where the
problems are ...