[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Weakley, Alan weakley at bio.unc.edu
Sun Feb 19 21:48:02 CST 2012

IPNI makes no taxonomic judgment; it just records names (nomenclature).  It correctly records Chamaecyparis nootkatensis as a valid name, as well as Xanthocyparis nootkatensis, also a valid name, and Cupressus nootkatensis, another valid name (and the Basionym for the others).  It points out that there is a nomenclatural issue that apparently (I have made no investigation of my own) renders the combination Callitropsis nootkatensis invalid and unavailable.

Take your pick on the taxonomy.  And if someone wants to treat it in Callitropsis, it looks like some nomenclatural action will be needed.

Alan Weakley, Ph.D.
Director and Curator, University of North Carolina Herbarium (NCU), North Carolina Botanical Garden
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Biology and Curriculum for the Environment and Ecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Mail:  Campus Box 3280, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3280
Email:  weakley at unc.edu