[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Mon Feb 20 11:41:21 CST 2012

From: "Richard Pyle" <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 6:07 PM
>> The big question in my mind is whether a specific name (or a subspecific
>> name) can be an available name. It appears possible to argue this both
>> ways, depending what part of the zoological Code one uses. I remain
>> unsure (except that thinking about it gives me a headache).

> Of course it can!  But we would say "a species-group name".  And yes,
> the availability applies to the epithet, not the combination (the
> exception being secondary homonymy).

> Aloha,
> Rich

***
Thank you. I will try and digest this. It does not seem to make sense that
the name of a species (the binomen) is not available (except in the case
of secondary homonymy), but certainly if species-group names are
available names there is even less correspondence between the zoological
and botanical Codes than I had supposed. In that case it would be a lot
safer to say something like
"a validly published name in botany is more or less comparable with an
available name in zoology; in some cases fairly closely and in some cases
not at all".

Paul

This message is only intended for the addressee named above.  Its contents
may be privileged or otherwise protected.  Any unauthorized use, disclosure
or copying of this message or its contents is prohibited.  If you have
received this message by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply mail
or by collect telephone call.  Any personal opinions expressed in this
message do not necessarily represent the views of the Bishop Museum.