[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Tue Feb 21 03:03:55 CST 2012

The end user is interested in the scientific name of a taxon, and
the Glossary of the zoological Code is clear about this aspect.
The zoological Code regards specific and subspecific names
(jointly: species-group names) as 'names' as well but this is an
internal, zoological nomenclatural matter.

What I am confused about here is not the scientific name of a
taxon, which the Glossary is clear about. The Glossary also
appears to be clear that these scientific names of taxa are
available names. So, I can envision the following possibilities:
1) the name of a species, the binomen, is an available name,
but the specific name is not an available name
2) the name of a species, the binomen, is an available name,
and the specific name is also an available name
3) the name of a species, the binomen, is an available name,
but although the specific name is both a name and available,
it is not an available name (of course, this would be strange,
but no stranger than other things that are in the zoological Code).

and apparently 4) the name of a species, the binomen, is not
an available name, but the specific name is an available name?

As to the comparison between botany and zoology, whenever
a species-group name can be an available name there is a
absolute break down (even if only local, in some cases) between
the two. In botany a "validly published name" is always the
"scientific name of a taxon"; it is unimaginable that a specific
epithet (or any other epithet), by itself, can be a) either a name
or b) validly published. This divide is, of course, even bigger
because in zoology a specific name may exist even if it never
was part of a complete scientific name of a taxon, a binomen
(11.9.3.1). This is really, really weird, from a botanical
nomenclatural perspective!

Paul