[Taxacom] Management hierarchy for animal taxa?

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Tue Feb 21 21:57:51 CST 2012

Hi all,

BIOSIS used to provide such a hierarchy as used in Zoological Record, though I've not seen it online for a while. There is an archived version from 1999 available at http://web.archive.org/web/20000303132950/http://www.york.biosis.org/zrdocs/taxhier/phylum.htm (although it will not meet the "most current" criterion you mention).

Probably its nearest successor is the "browse hierarchy" sidebar to ION, available at http://www.organismnames.com/ from Thomson Reuters, although you may have to traverse the tree by clicking on every node to see what is there under "Animalia". I have not compared which goes to greater depth than the other in any particular cases, or how much the treatment of particular groups reflects "current" thinking.

The GBIF Backbone ("NUB") taxonomy is available at http://ecat-dev.gbif.org/checklist/1 but someone from GBIF should probably comment on how stable or current it is at this time. One problem with this is that a lot of my IRMNG "unplaced" genera seem to have been ingested and then appear at unexpected levels of the hierarchy where they are a distraction from the main game.

I'd be interested to see whether others have alternative suggestions too. (Rod Page will probably recommend the NCBI/GenBank taxonomy available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?mode=Root), however possibly this only contains organisms which have been sequenced at this time.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,