[Taxacom] variants of taxon author names

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:58:30 CST 2012

I have been working to link the original species descriptions to their
authors using Linked Open Data methods.

Many taxonomic authors have entries in Wikipedia which means that they
exist in DBpedia

The example below shows how the identifier for the original species
description of the mosquito Ochlerotatus triseriatus links to
the author Thomas Say in DBpedia.

Original Description of Ochlerotatus triseriatus http://bit.ly/yWV3Tg

I have notice that changes in the titles of the Wikipedia pages changes the
URI (identifier).

At this point I think the value that the DBpedia entries bring offset the
occasional changes in the URI.

It might be helpful if everyone added a Wikipedia entry for those authors
they are familiar with.

We can then create a list of the variants of taxon author names for each
author.

Here is the DBpedia entry for Carl Linnaeus
http://dbpedia.org/page/Carl_Linnaeus

The various names used for him shows up under rdfs:label

Respectfully,

- Pete

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Armand Turpel <armand.turpel.mnhn at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Does someone know where to find a source which lists all variants of
> taxon author names?
>
> Example:
>
> Linnaeus, L., Linne, Linné
> which swedish original name is Carl Nilsson Linnæus

> these methods:

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison