[Taxacom] variants of taxon author names

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Wed Feb 22 11:42:42 CST 2012

a single identifier like what is already available for Linnaeus ... http://www.ipni.org/ipni/idAuthorSearch.do?id=12653-1 ... :-) ... and has been for a couple of decades.

In haste,

Paul
From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu [taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] on behalf of Roderic Page [r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk]
Sent: 22 February 2012 16:53
To: taxacom
Cc: Peter DeVries
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] variants of taxon author names

Dear Francisco,

The DBpedia entry is based on Wikipedia as it was in July 2011. It's a consequence of the way it is built that it won't be as current as Wikipedia (there is a somewhat experimental "live" version).

But I don't think Pete is necessarily advocating using Dbpedia to get all the alternative names for a person - rather it provides a single identifier we can hang all those names on. An analogy might be all the alternative names for a journal (abbreviations, etc.). If the journal has an ISSN then we can use that to unambiguously refer to that journal.

If two data sets both identify Linnaeus using http://dbpedia.org/page/Carl_Linnaeus then it becomes trivial to link the data sets together. Otherwise we are left to match strings that may or may not refer to the same thing.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy