[Taxacom] variants of taxon author names

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Wed Feb 22 13:51:32 CST 2012

The answer, to me, is obvious:

Build an infrastructure that cross-links ALL of the identifiers (and makes
it exceedingly easy to do so).  The reality is that we have a plethora of
identifiers now, and there is no easy way to predict which ones will be
persistently actionable  5, 10, 50, 100 years from now.  What we want is a
mechanism to cross-reference ("SameAs") these different identifiers (and
tools to make this easy and delightful), so that when a given identifier
dies, a call to that identifier can be re-directed to a comparable one.  It
would also be an extremely valuable resource for reconciliation across
overlapping datasets, and aggregation/reconciliation of metadata tied to
different identifiers.

Building the infrastructure is the easy part.  The hard part is
understanding how the identifiers map.  For example, if one database defines
each record in a table of Agents as a "person", and another defines each
record as a "name of a person", then we have a logical mis-match, and
"SameAs" direct mappings would be a mistake.

I am increasingly of the belief that one of the greatest impediments our
community has towards achieving the data-integrated utopia we have been
discussing recently, is that we define our data objects in subtly different
ways.  Nowhere is this more problematic than in the realm of scientific
names of organisms.  I think this problems accounts for a large percentage
of the explanation for the disparity between "Where we should be" with data
integration in our community, and "Where we are".

Aloha,
Rich

Wikipedia
> (there is a somewhat experimental "live" version).
> >
> > But I don't think Pete is necessarily advocating using Dbpedia to get
all the
> alternative names for a person - rather it provides a single identifier we
can
> hang all those names on. An analogy might be all the alternative names for
> journal (abbreviations, etc.). If the journal has an ISSN then we can use
that
> to unambiguously refer to that journal.
> >
> > If two data sets both identify Linnaeus using
> http://dbpedia.org/page/Carl_Linnaeus then it becomes trivial to link the
> data sets together. Otherwise we are left to match strings that may or may
> not refer to the same thing.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Rod

> >> Does not really convince me. The content entries were taken at some
> >> time a few years ago from Wikipedia but not updated afterwards, and
> >> the labels show only an arbitrary selection of name variants
> >> (obviously the ones selected as the name for the headlines by various
WP