[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Wolfgang Lorenz faunaplan at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 23 04:13:14 CST 2012

isn't it the ICZN glossary (page 110) that is most confusing?:
"species-group name. A specific name or a subspecific name"
"specific name. The second name in a binomen and in a trinomen" [i.e.,
epithet]
"subspecific name. The third name in a trinomen" [i.e,.epithet]

Shouldn't it be something like:
'species-group name. The combination of two or three names, the first being
the generic name followed by one or two epithets. A species-group name can
be interpolated by a subgeneric name (in round brackets) or a word
indicating the rank (e.g., "subspec.").'

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Lorenz, Tutzing, Germany