[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Bradley Boyle bboyle at email.arizona.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:19:28 CST 2012

Hi all,

This sub-thread about what to call the "parts" of a taxon name highlights yet another confusing disconnect between the languages of botany and zoology. I spend part of my time working on biodiversity informatics projects involving both botanists and zoologists. You would not believe the unproductive coding errors this little difference in terminology has caused.

Frank, as Richard points out, what you call "common language" is not common at all in botany. The dependent parts of taxon names, meaning strings which are meaningless in themselves unless paired with the name of the parent taxon, are epithets. Hence:

Poa annua (species name), annua (specific epithet)
Heliomeris longifolia var. annua (varietal name), annua (infraspecific epithet, or more precisely, varietal epithet)

In botany, it is not only confusing but simply incorrect to call an epithet a "species", "species name" or "specific name". This distinction is widely understood among botanists; confusion between the two is essentially nonexistent in my experience.

I know the ICBN and ICZN are officially independent, but there are times when I think it would benefit everyone to standardize at least some of our terminology.

Cheers,
Brad

On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:00 AM, taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:21:28 -0600
> From: "Richard Zander" <Richard.Zander at mobot.org>
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] validation of taxon names
> To: <Frank.Krell at dmns.org>,	<kim at kimvdlinde.com>,	<fwelter at gwdg.de>
> Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
>
> We botanists use "specific epithet" for the last word of the binomen. A species name is a binomen.
>
> ???
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Richard H. Zander
> Missouri Botanical Garden, PO Box 299, St. Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA
> Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
> Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm

Brad Boyle, Ph.D.
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Arizona
BSW 310
P.O. Box 210088
Tucson, AZ 85721, USA