[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Fri Feb 24 14:08:56 CST 2012

"Frank, as Richard points out, what you call "common language" is not common at all in botany. The dependent parts of taxon names, meaning strings which are meaningless in themselves unless paired with the name of the parent taxon, are epithets."

Yes, that's about what I said. Kim wanted to call the specific epithet (botany) or the specific name (zoology) "species name". This is what I opposed. The species name is a binomen in both the codes AND in common language.

The only difference here between botanists and zoologists is that the former call the second part of a binomen specific epithet, the zoologists call it specific name.

I don't see a big problem in that difference. Also, people should be able to distinguish between the words speCIES name and speCIFIC name in zoology. I am pretty convinced that, if they care, they are able to do so.

Frank

Dr Frank T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

Upcoming: Combined Annual Meeting of the Lepidopterist's Society and the Societas Europaea Lepidopterologica, 23-29 July 2012, Denver Museum of Nature & Science; more info at http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.