[Taxacom] validation of taxon names

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Sat Feb 25 02:36:53 CST 2012

From: <Frank.Krell at dmns.org>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 9:08 PM
[...]
> Yes, that's about what I said. Kim wanted to call the specific epithet
> (botany) or the specific name (zoology) "species name". This is what I
> opposed. The species name is a binomen in both the codes AND in common
> language.

> The only difference here between botanists and zoologists is that the
> former call the second part of a binomen specific epithet, the zoologists
> call it specific name.

***
That is not the only difference. I would suppose it would
not be an exageration to call it the smallest difference
between the two worlds. For starters, in botany there is
no such thing as a binomen (this is strictly zoological).
It is extremely dangerous to make statements across
more than one Code.
* * *

> I don't see a big problem in that difference. Also, people should be able
> to distinguish between the words speCIES name and speCIFIC name in
> zoology. I am pretty convinced that, if they care, they are able to do so.

***
Perhaps, but it is a problem that this is a distinction that
exists only in zoology, and nowhere else. And it is pretty
clear that, even in zoology, there are not all that many
who do care ...

Paul